I have decided to start a decuttering series here on my blog because recently, I have been going through all my makeup to sort out the things that I wear constantly and the items that I have not touched in a really long time. Over the years, I have horded a lot of makeup but I have realized that I barely use 50% of my collection, so in an attempt to use more of my collection, I have decided to get rid of items that I know I will not reach for in the future.
- Maybelline Shine Free Pressed Powder in Soft Cameo: I did like this powder when I first got it mainly because I used it all over my face to prevent my face from becoming oily. However, whenever I use this powder over foundation, my foundation instantly becomes cake-y. It is a great product if used alone on my face, but I love my Rimmel Stay Matte which I can use alone or with foundation as well, so I decided to get rid of this product.
- ELF Eyebrow Kit in Medium: I know a lot of people like this product but I could not get myself to like it. I think the reason is because I prefer using an eyebrow pencil to fill in my brows because it allows for more control. Since I cannot seem to get this product to work for me, I have decided to get rid of it and stick to eyebrow pencils from now on.
- ELF Contour Blush & Bronzing Cream: St. Lucia: This is a beautiful blush and bronzer duo, however I am not a fan of cream products. I find them really hard to work with and the bronzer can look a bit muddy on my skin at times. Therefore, I have decided to pass on this product, however if you are a fan of cream products, I would suggest you try out this product since it is super affordable!
- Estee Lauder Sumptuous Bold Volume Lifting Mascara: I did not like this product at all. This mascara weighted down my lashes and made them look super clumpy. It did not really lengthen or hold my curls for a long time. There are plenty of drugstore mascaras that work better at a more affordable price!
- Covergirl Lip Perfection Lipstick: Fairytale: I did like this product back when I first got into makeup. It is a pretty bright coral color, however ever since discovering liquid lipsticks, I rarely reach for my regular lipsticks as they are not long lasting and they smudge everywhere.
- Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Suede in Finale and Preview: I am pretty sure this whole line was named after parts of a play which is pretty cute. However, I am not a fan of the formula, they are on the sheer side and they are not long lasting at all. The colors itself are alright, nothing unique and they are not the most affordable lippies at the drugstore so I would not recommend this product at all.
These are all the products that I have for today, but I will be continuing this series in the future!
As I was gathering products for this blog post, I realized how bad I am at finishing makeup products. Every month I have been meaning to do an empties post, but every month I realized I only used up about two items. I ended up compiling all my empties from February to April and still I only ended up with the following items. My goal for the next three months is to try to finish more products so that I can purchase new makeup items.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills – Brow Wiz: This is my all-time favorite brow product and since I always do my brows, it was no surprise that this was part of my empties. I always make sure that I have back up of this in my house.
- Maybelline Eyestudio Brow Define + Fill Duo: This is my favorite drug store brow product and I actually find myself reaching for this more than my brow wiz. One of the main reasons is because it works extremely well and it is so much more affordable than my brow wiz. I am not at the point in my life where I can drop $21 for a brow product every three months so I try to use the drugstore alternative more often.
- Softlips Cube 5-1 Lip Care: I actually got this product way back in an Influenster box and since I have so many lip balms, I constantly forgot about this product. To be honest, it is not my favorite lip balm and I cannot see myself repurchasing. It retails for around $3-$5 which is not too expensive but I do not find it to be very moisturizing. It does not provide me with the deep moisturize that I want but rather just sits as a thin film on top of my lips.
- LA Girl Pro Concealer – Cool Tan: This is one of my all-time favorite concealers because it is so affordable and high coverage. I tend to use the shade cool tan to contour my cheeks and it always provide a nice subtle contour that I really liked. However, when I tried to contour with this recently, it began to look extremely muddy on my face. I decided to part with this product for that reason, as I am unsure if it is just because I have had it for such a long time (two years and counting).
- Jesse’s Girl Cosmetics Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner: I featured this eyeliner in my January Favorites a while back because it was a great dupe for the Kat Von D Tattoo liner. It was a great product (until I discovered the Kiko Milano eyeliner that I featured in my April Favorites) but the only problem I had with it was that it was not black enough for my liking. It also dried up in a month which was extremely fast in my opinion.
- Max Factor Masterpiece Max Mascara: This product came in one of my Influenster packages and I was skeptical about this mascara since I have never heard of this brand. However, it actually worked pretty well, it lengthened my lashes and did not smudge which is two of the main things I look for in mascara. I did not find that it helped with curls but I have yet to find a mascara that helps to define curled lashes.
It is quite sad that I only managed to use up six products in the span of three months. I am going to try to finish up more makeup items in the coming months so that I can justify buying more makeup to try out.
For the longest time, I have only been buying makeup and I realize recently that I have been having a hard time finishing most of my makeup products. Therefore, I decide to pick out 10 items that I am going to try and finish before May 2015. This means that I am going to be using these makeup products almost everyday in order to do my best to finish them. I have different reasons for each product that I pick out which I will list below.
- EOS Lip Balm in coconut milk: I have been using EOS lip balms for the longest time and I think I’m getting tired of them. I want to try out new lip balms but first I want to finish this one before I open another one.
- Fresh-sugar rose lip balm: This is a sample size product that I got from the Sephora Birthday Gift a couple of years ago. I’m more than 1/2 done with this product and I decided to put this item here, so I would be able to actually finish a product!
- MakeUp Forever Smoky Extravagant Mascara: I think I’m almost done with this product, but I want to finish this up since I’ve had it awhile and it shouldn’t take me that long, especially since it is a sample size.
- Benefit-They’re Real Mascara: This is also a sample size product that I have had for a while. I am not a huge fan of this product which is why I have put off using it but since it might expire soon, I figure I might as well finish it up.
- Revlon Lip Butter-Pink Truffle: This is my favorite lip product of the moment and I am loving the color especially for the winter. Since it is such a fall/winter color I want to finish this up before the weather gets warmer. I do have a long way to go though since I only used about 1/8 of the tube.
- L’Oreal Lineur Intense-Carbon Black: I do not like this liquid eyeliner at all! But I still have so much of this product that it would be a waste to just throw it out. So I am going to force myself to use it in order to finally be done with this product.
- Maybelline Fit Me Concealer: I have a couple of new concealers that I want to try out but I do not want to open any until I am done with my current concealer, so here is to me trying to finish it up.
- L’Oreal 12HR Infallible: This is the liquid eyeliner that I have been using everyday for a couple of months. I am almost done with this product and I cannot wait until I can try out new eyeliners!
- Essence Gel Eye Pencil: This is the eyeliner that I use for lining my waterline everyday, so I figure that it would be a product that I could easily finish.
- L’Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes: Not a huge fan of this mascara, but I cannot justify opening a new mascara when I have so many already opened. I am going to try to finish this up before I move onto a new mascara.
Those are the ten products that I am going to try to finish before May comes along. Hopefully, I will be able to finish at least half of those products, since I am itching to try out new products but I do not want to do so until I have used up some of my older products!