In an attempt to try to use the make-up that I currently own and not continue to horde items, I have placed myself in a no buy until March. However, there have been some makeup items that I definitely want to try out once this no buy is up!
- Tarte ShapeTape Concealer: I have been wanting to try this out since last year especially since everybody raves about this product. All the beauty blogger and the youtubers have been talking non-stop about this product and I definitely want to try it out for myself!
- Wet n’ Wild Perfert Pout Gel Lip Liner: Wet n’ Wild has came out with a bunch of products and this is one that I want to try. I have never been a fan of lip liners but I have heard that these are extremely creamy and glides on smoothly.
- Wet n’ Wild Megalast Liquid Catsuit Matte Lipstick: This is another Wet n’ Wild product that I want to try out. I have been a fan of liquid lipsticks since last year and find it hard using regular lipsticks so I want to check these out especially since they are so affordable.
- Too Faced Natural Eye Netural Eye Shadow: I have never been an eye shadow person so I don’t actually own any eye shadow palettes but I have been playing around recently and I think eye shadow is something that I might begin adding to my makeup routine. Since I am still a beginner in using eye shadows I was hoping to pick up a palette that would work for both day and night with neutral colors which is what this palette includes.
- Becca First Light Priming Filter: This is one of Becca’s new item that I have been really interested in. It claims to work as a primer to brighten up the skin which is something that I want for my skin. Since it is winter my skin has been looking dull lately and this is something that I want to try to see if I could brighten it up.
- The Balm: Mary Lou Manizer: This item has been out forever and so many bloggers speak highly of this product and after seeing swatches I knew that I needed this highlighter in my life (in addition to all the others that I own).
- Sleek Solstice Highlighting Palette: This item has also been out for a while but yet another item that I have been eye-ing since last year. I love highlighters and after seeing the pigmentation on this one I knew that I needed it in my life as well!
Is it obvious that one of my favorite makeup items are contour items. The Smash Box Step-By-Step Contour Stick Trio were actually my first ever contour sets. I was gifted this item and they began my love affair with contour kits. These retail for $45 and you get three sticks: highlight, bronzer and contour.
The packaging is very simple and it comes with a sharpener so whenever one of the pencils become dull you can make it sharp again. They are extremely travel friendly as it is so easy to slip all three into your makeup bag and there is no need to carry a huge palette which is likely to be heavier.
When I first got these, I was scared to use them as I never tried cream contouring before. However, they come with a booklet which provides tips on how to contour based on your face shape. When I first used them, I was amazed at how creamy they were. Since they are sticks, you do not need any other brushes to apply, simply just draw on your face and then blend it out. I like using a damp beauty blender to blend out. They are very forgiving and very easy to use, so if you are a beginner you would have no problem.
- Highlighter: This is a great highlighter for the under eye area and for places that you want to brighten up. It is very creamy and blend-able.
- Bronzer: This is the stick that I have used the least as I find it makes me look a bit muddy.
- Contour: I absolutely love this contour stick and this is my favorite product out of the three. It is so creamy and it is the perfect contour shade – it does not make me look muddy at all.
I think that this trio is a great beginner cream contour kit. They are so easy to use and you do not need any brushes in order to apply. These are extremely creamy and blend-able as well.
2016 has been the year where I began experimenting more with make-up. I have been using makeup for a while but 2016 was the year where I began trying out new trends and pushing myself out of my comfort zone. Here are some of my favorite products of 2016, these products may not have been launched in 2016 but they were the items that I discovered in 2016 and found myself reaching for constantly.
- Too Faced Cocoa Contour: This was my first high-end contour palette that I got for myself this year and I absolutely love it. It seems amazing and does it great job contouring and it is a great palette for beginners.
- Kat Von D Lock-It Concealer: Got to try this item through Influencer and was really impressed by how much I liked it. It is extremely creamy, blend-able and full coverage.
- Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray: This is pretty much my holy grail setting spray that I use every single time I do a full face of makeup. It helps to set my makeup and helps my makeup last all night long regardless of where I go. It is definitely a necessity in my make-up routine.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit: This is the most recent contour palette to join my contour kit family but I am already loving this product. There is six shades that are removeable/replaceable which I love since you can essentially customize this palette to your desired shades. The shades themselves are so buttery and blend-able as well.
- Becca: Champagne Pop: This has been the highlighter that I had been waiting so long to get my hands on and I am so glad that I did. It is a beautiful soft white highlight with peachy undertones and it is absolutely stunning on. I have been non-stop wearing this product since I got it.
- Hoola Bronzer: This is the bronzer that people raved out for ages. I am pretty sure that everyone and their mother owns this bronzer. When I finally picked up this bronzer I finally understood the hype, it is a great bronzer that provides a beautiful bronze look without making you look muddy. It works for so many skin tones as well!
- Colourpop Ultra Matte Lip : Colourpop has been one of my favorite companies for liquid lipsticks, they are so affordable and the quality is pretty amazing. They are long lasting, pigmented and have a HUGE color range. In 2016, I have pretty much only reached for liquid lipsticks especially the colourpop ones.
- Covergirl Ready Set Gorgeous Foundation: I got this product from Influenster way back when it first launched. Back then I did not use it much but in 2016 this has became my go-to foundation. It is light to medium coverage and very buildable. It is super blendable and makes my skin look super natural without making me look cake-y.
I am super excited for all the new make-up that is launching in 2017 and there is already a running list of make-up products that I want to try out. I do want to work on destashing my make-up collection before I go crazy and buy a huge amount of makeup though!
Disclaimer: I received these products complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes.
I was actually super excited to get the Kat Von D box from Influester which included two shades of the Kat Von D Lock-It Concealer Crème, two brushes and the Kat Von D Lock-It Setting Powder. The item that I was most excited for was the concealer, as I am always in the market for a good concealer. This item retails for $26 at Sephora.
If there is anything I love about Kat Von D products, it is their packaging. The packaging for this concealer is to die for, it is super sleek and creative. I love how I can see the color from the tube and the quality of the packaging is amazing.
When I first began to use this product, I was amazed by the brush as it is so different from any of the brushes that I have seen before. This brush was a lot wider and flatter than concealer brushes that I have seen in the past. Since the brush is shaped this way I find that it is super easy to apply this concealer.
The shade that I use is Warm, which is a bit lighter than my skin tone but I like to use it for a bit of highlighting and brightening of the under eye area. There is a good color selections inclusive of both lighter skinned females and women of color which is a huge plus in my books.
The way that I normally wear this concealer is over foundation, I would use a damp beauty blender to blend everything out. Once that is done, I will go in with a powder to set my under eye area. After wearing this concealer multiple times, I can say that I am currently loving this concealer for many reasons:
- Very full coverage – pretty much completely hides any pimples and my dark eye circles.
- Great color selection!
- Does not crease on me – I do set this with a setting powder after I put it on
- It lasts the whole day for me – I do use a setting spray once I have applied all my makeup.
- Very blend-able and creamy
I do find a couple of things that I do not like too much about this concealer.
- The concealer is quiet thick – I do find that if I do not use moisturizer or a good primer underneath it can look cake-y.
- It is also a bit drying so as mentioned before a good moisturizer and/or primer is necessary.
Despite the cons, I do love this concealer for days where I want to wear more makeup. It has been my go-to concealer for nights out ever since I got it!
Recently, I have been obsessed with face mask, especially blackhead removal ones. I have heard mixed reviews about the My Scheming Blackhead Acne Removal Activated Carbon Mask. From the Youtube videos that I have watched, many of the youtubers have said extremely good things about this product, however the amazon reviews were mixed. My best friend had actually tried out this product before me and she said that it was pretty good but it does not remove all the blackheads present. I decided that I had to try it for myself so I picked it up from amazon. It current retails for about $11 on amazon.
This product has three steps and they come nicely packaged together. On each bottle, they include the step that it is along with a short simple explanation of what the product is suppose to do. My box also included a sheet with English instructions on how to use this product however some reviewers on Amazon mentioned that they did not get instructions in their boxes. There are plenty of videos on Youtube that help explain how to use this product so I do not think that it is much of an issue. I am also listing below the steps that I took when I applied this product for the first time.
- First, I boiled some water and let the steam open up my pores before I even applied any product. You can also use a warm towel and place it over your nose to open up your pores as well.
- Second, I applied Solution 1 of the product which is a Deep Pore Sebum Softener. This product I left on for about 5 minutes before washing it off (it is extremely important to wash off this product prior to using Solution 2). Solution 1 did have a herbally scent to it but it was not too strong. It did make my nose a bit itchy when I put it on (I was not allergic or anything).
- Before, I used Solution 2 (which is the Blackhead Removal Activated Carbon Mask), I made sure that my nose was wet. Then I applied a thick layer of the mask (make sure the layer is thick as it makes it easier to take off). The mask did have a bit of a scent at first but it quickly went away. It did take a while for this product to dry from 20-40 minutes, which was a bit long for me since I usually use the Biore Nose stripes and those take about 10 minutes.
- Once the product was all dried, I peeled it off from the bottom up (another important tip). It was a bit hard to peel off but not painful or anything, unless you have super sharp nails.
- The last step is Solution 3 which is a Skin Clarifying Pore Treatment Essence, this is to help close your pores after the mask. This also had an herbally scent to it but nothing too powerful.
Below, I am attaching images of the end product from the pore strip (it is not overlly gross but if you do get easily gross out by these things DO STOP READING NOWW!!!)
Stop reading if you are disgusted by images of pore stripes.
Stop reading if you are disgusted by images of pore stripes.
Overall, I think that the product does work pretty well. My nose and chin felt amazingly soft after using this product. It does remove the fine hairs that are present on your face which is why your skin feels so soft afterwards. A significant amount of blackheads/white heads were removed using this product, however I do find that some of the extremely deep blackheads do not get removed. It does not leave your nose completely free of blackheads but does a pretty good job at a decent price.